Saturday, September 03, 2011

i am a christian

i am a christian.

i am a christian not because it is cool.
but because i saw the need to be forgiven.

I am a christian not because i can,
but because i can't.

i am a christian not because it is an easier way to go to heaven,
but because i was chosen.

i am a christian not because i deserve to go
but because, without Christ i am the worst and hardest sinner.

i am a christian not because i am holy moley
but because i am depraved by nature.

i am a christian not because i have a good moral compass
but because i don't even have one to begin with.

i am a christian not because i was brought up a christian
but because there's something real when i communicate to God.

i am a christian. saying all these nice words.
but at the end, will i survive?

i am a christian, spouting doctrine,
but at the end, does what i say matter?

i am a christian, doing bible study.
but at the end, where did the knowledge all go?

i am a christian, thinking i am always right.
but at the end, i'll be with a hoarde of others who do not qualify to enter the kingdom of heaven.

i am a christian, repenting each time i do something so depraved.
but at the end, it earns no respect from the non-religious who have done much more righteous acts.

i am a christian, thinking i have the answer.
but at the end, i realise that so does everyone else.

i am a christian, attending christian stuff all my life.
but at the end, i end up with a narrow view and vanished friend pool.

i am a christian, thinking everyone else is proud and needs to be 'taught' and 'mentored'.
but at the end, it is i who needs to be taught and humbled.

i am a christian, thinking that putting Jesus in my vocab would impress,
but at the end, there is no Jesus in my actions.

i am a christian, relishing the thought that i am working in a christian org with a nice noble discipline of study.
but it is always the non-religious who show me what it really meant to be compassionate.

i am a christian, proclaiming Jesus, but people can't see Jesus in my heart.

Lord help us to make a difference in our

1 comment:

Ugorji said...

I see some very candid and true thoughts here. I'll be writing my own thoughts on some of the themes.

"i am a christian not because i was brought up a christian
but because there's something real when i communicate to God."

I am really glad to see this here because it is very necessary to know God for yourself and be convinced about him. This is sooo necessary. It helps keep ine rooted. Believing only because of a church upbringing is a sure recipe for doubts and confusion in the future. I know because I am right now in such a crisis and asking God to speak to me Himself so I can know Him for who He is. Can you tell me about this real thing.

"i am a christian, thinking i am always right.
but at the end, i'll be with a hoarde of others who do not qualify to enter the kingdom of heaven."

I don't think you should say "I'll be", sounds like a procalamation, and you don't want to be proclaiming such things. You should say "will I be", sounds less ominous. Lol.

"i am a christian, thinking i have the answer.
but at the end, i realise that so does everyone else."

Doesn't that belittle christianity and make it so invalid if everyone else has the answer?

"i am a christian, attending christian stuff all my life.
but at the end, i end up with a narrow view and vanished friend pool."

Not nice to admit, but I think it is mostly true, but it doesn't have to be so. I think it happens when we are religious and push religion instead of being just who we are. The Pharisees vs Jesus - the Pharisees did not want to associate with any 'Ășnreligious folks', Jesus did and was reviled for it.

"i am a christian, thinking everyone else is proud and needs to be 'taught' and 'mentored'.
but at the end, it is i who needs to be taught and humbled."

Ah, so true. Do I need to be humbled! Lord keep this in my consciousness.

"but it is always the non-religious who show me what it really meant to be compassionate."

Just like the good Samaritan and the religious Pharisee. We need to remove the wool of religion from over our eyes and be true people.